No! I don't mean "Yet Another Unix Nerd"!!!
But upgrading WordPress from 3.3 to 3.4 on my DS209+ was almost "Yet Another Upgrade Nightmare" :)
Click to Read More
Upgrading a package for Synology is usually really a piece of cake. Unfortunately, the upgrade package for WordPress caused me difficulties.
First issue: MySQL password
The setup failed quite immediately after downloading, complaining that there was possibly an issue with the MySQL password. After some investigation, it appeared to me that :
- the DSM Package Center is running as Synology's "root" user and
- the setup of WordPress was trying to access MySql with that account but without any password.
And unfortunately (although quite normal), I did set a password for the MySql "root" user in the past... So, as suggested in the message above, I did reset MySql root password to blank.
- Go to phpMyAdmin, opened the "Users" tab and clicked "Edit Privileges" for the user "root" with Host=localhost.
- In the "Edit Privileges" dialog box, scroll down to the "Change Password" area and select "No Password" before clicking "Go".
- Finally, back to the "Users" page, click "Create PHP code" to apply the change. At that moment, phpMyAdmin could prompt you to re-enter your credentials (root with a blank password).
I did next restart the update of the WordPress which finally completed fine. But...
Next issue: Page Not Found
My Blog was not reachable anymore after the upgrade ? Damned... WordPress was imply disabled... I had to click "Start" next to the WordPress Package in the DSM Package Center
And finally, my home page appeared... I went immediately to the administration dashboard where I discovered that the setup was actually not yet complete. In this dashboard, I found a message asking me to click a button to upgrade the database. Fortunately, nothing wrong occurred during this upgrade :)
Last issue: This is somewhat embarrassing, isn’t it?
Although the home page appeared correctly, I was not able to open anything else: no post, no "custom" pages, no categories, ... For each of them, I got the WordPress' "Page Not Found"... All the permalinks appeared somewhat "corrupted"... No idea why.
Fortunately (bis ter et repetita), fixing this issue was not difficult. I simply had to re-enforce the right Permalinks structure.
- Go back to the administration dashboard and select the menu "Permalinks" under "Settings".
- Check that "your" structure of Permalinks is still selected and did click "Save Changes" (Even if you didn't change the structure).
And miracle! Everything went back to normal. I didn't lose any customization or plugins except my custom smilies from \web\wordpress\wp-includes\images\smilies (fortunately backuped),...
No! I Don't mean "Yet Another System Utility"!!! But "Yet Another Successful Update"